07 December 2005

The Waiting

Today was a day of Waiting.

Waiting for a package is a nightmare for me. I got notification from Amazon two days ago that the thing had been sent. So it is possible that it will turn up today; and so my entire day revolves around the wait. I can’t go to the corner shop and get a pizza, in case the post comes while I’m out (no bad thing, actually, because I had a vegetables and pasta instead). The day went through, I think, four distinct phases:

8:00 - 10:00 Breakfast. No way the post will come that early, but the anticipation starts mounting.

10:00 - 12:00 Too early, but possible: I hear an engine in the street, and I almost leap to my feet; but then I look at the clock and remind myself that it is still too early.

12:00 - 14:00 Optimal time. Every vehicle which passes could be the post, and the number of times I stop whatever I’m doing and listen intently before sidling over to the window to check is ridiculous. At one point I even go downstairs to ostensibly check the postbox - well, perhaps the bell has broken overnight, and the postman (it’s usually a man) has left a card saying I can collect the package from the station. I leave the door to the hall open, so that the postman can come inside and call, which he’s been known to do.

14:00 - 16:00 Cooling off. I have to go to work at 16:00, so if the post hasn’t arrived by then, I won’t get the package before tomorrow, even if he does leave a card. So during this period I brace myself for the inevitable disappointment of not getting the goodies, having spent an entire day waiting with baited breath.

Then, suddenly, at 15:55 - I’m about to put my shoes on - the doorbell rings. I leap to my feet, grab the keys, and hurtle down three flights of stairs. I can see the postman through the glass; I open the door, and see he’s holding a package from Amazon - and he says:

"Can you take this for the guy on the bottom floor?"

Oh well, tomorrow is another day. I can’t wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment